Working together to deliver vaccine to all countries:
- The Access to Covid-19 Tools (ACT) Accelerator was launched in April 2020 to speed up development and delivery to countries of diagnostics, treatments and vaccines. It includes a health systems connector to support delivery of these resources to countries.
- WHO developed a framework for equitable and affordable access to safe and effective vaccines.
- The COVAX facility is an umbrella mechanism through which demand and resources are pooled to support procurement of, and equitable access to, COVID-19 vaccines.
- The ACT Accelerator aims to deliver two billion vaccine doses for global needs by the end of 2021.
- Vaccine allocation will be driven by public health needs for priority groups, which may represent about 20% of the population, in the first year.
- Countries will be asked to develop vaccination plans.
- WHO recommends front-line personnel (such as health workers) and seniors be the first priority to receive vaccine