What else should I ask?
Safety and emergencies:
- What are the risks of the procedure itself, and the possible side effects both immediate and long-term?
- Are there any other risks to me in joining in the study?
- What will be done if an adverse reaction (bad side-effect) develops? Who is the person to contact in an emergency or research-related injury? Who will provide emergency medical care?
- Is the clinic adequately prepared to handle emergencies such as a serious allergic reaction?
- What follow-up treatment will be received, and for how long? What will I need to do?
- Who is the doctor in charge of the treatment? What specialized training does this doctor have? How well trained are the other doctors and the technical support staff?