You can take care of your fistula by following these steps:
- Be careful not to knock your arm for the first few days after your fistula has been formed
- Rest your arm: the wound needs time to heal
- Do not drive or lift anything heavy with your fistula arm for the first two weeks
- Check your fistula every day for the “thrill”
- Do not let any medical proffesionals take blood from your fistula arm. Blood should always be taken from the veins on the backs of your hands.
- Never let anyone check your blood pressure on the fistula arm
- Do not wear any tight sleeves or watches that may restrict the flow of blood through your fistula arm
- Be careful not to lie on your fistula arm
You can help your fistula to develop by squeezing a rubber ball in your hand. You can do this exercise as often as you like.