Before a dialyzer can be reused, the following steps must be done:
- The dialyzer is rinsed and cleaned, either by hand or with a machine. Doing this by machine is generally safer.
- The dialyzer is tested to make sure there are no broken fibers and still working
- The dialyzer is filled with a germicide (chemical solution used to kill germs)
- When the dialyzer is ready to use, the germicide is rinsed out
- The dialyzer is tested to make sure no germcide is left, and the dialyzer can be used safely
The most common germcides are formaldehyde and peracetic acid